Terms and Conditions -
Our Counselling contract
I am committed to providing a safe, therapeutic environment for my clients.
All sessions will be conducted in strictest confidence and this confidence will be maintained and applied to all records, except in the following circumstances:
• Where you give consent for the confidence to be broken – i.e. sharing information with GP/Insurer.
• Where the counsellor is compelled to do so by an Order of a Court.
• Where the counsellor reasonably considers that the information is of such gravity that confidentiality cannot be maintained (for example, aspects of terrorism, trafficking, treason or money laundering).
• Where the counsellor reasonably considers that there is a risk of serious harm to yourself or others.
• On occasions when there is a third person in the room I cannot guarantee that they will maintain confidentiality.
I am a member of the National Counselling Society and abide by their ethical framework. One aspect of working ethically is that I am required to undertake supervision (all counsellors should do this); although client issues are discussed within supervision, confidentiality is maintained and your identity will not be revealed. A brief record of the contents of each session may be kept. Notes are kept in secure electronic format, encrypted and password protected.
I use a Transpersonal Integrative counselling model which means that I have a variety of psychological and counselling theories and 'tools' available to help clients if appropriate.
Sessions will last for one hour and are normally weekly; the number of sessions varies with each individual. To start with we will have an initial assessment - a chance to see how we will work together, time to discuss the counselling contract and for you to tell me what has brought you to counselling. There will be regular reviews of the counselling sessions.
Fees & Payment:
Fees are £60.00 per hour and I request payment at the time of booking. I cannot guarantee that all insurers will cover the costs of our sessions and some insurers have specific terms and limitations, please check with them if this is relevant to you. Please understand that you will be liable for fees if your insurer declines to cover you.
Fees for cancelled or missed sessions are still payable unless 24 hours prior notice is given or if there are particularly extenuating circumstances. Please note that I will not see you if you are under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
Normally, clients tend to know when they are ready to finish counselling, we can agree together on the work we need to do to prepare for this.
Any complaints about my work can be made through the National Counselling Society.
I am registered with the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner, I hold the following data:
• Name and age – this is basic information that helps me get to know you
• Address, email address, phone number – I use this as a way of contacting you regarding your sessions. I will mainly use the method we agree on but if I can’t reach you I may try a different method.
• Doctors details & medication – If I was worried that you were at risk then I may need to contact your doctor, if I could I would tell you I was going to do this. Knowledge of your medication helps me to understand what medical interventions might be in place which might affect our work together.
• Insurance information if necessary to claim fees from your insurer.
Any data on paper (such as this agreement) will be scanned and kept electronically; the original will be destroyed. Any notes from our sessions are kept electronically with encryption and password protection. Data is held for 5 years, which is the time frame my insurance company requires.